"Stairway to the Stars" Space Elevator Conference 2009 Set To Open August 13 Redmond, WA. Scientists, researchers and space enthusiasts from throughout the world will gather on the Microsoft campus August 13-16 for Space Elevator Conference 2009, an exploration of the technical, legal and social issues and challenges of building an Elevator to Space. A variety of events are planned for the public, as well as the scientific community, on this revolutionary way to send cargo and humans into space. Events include:
* A four-day technical conference discussing the issues and
challenges of constructing an Elevator to Space
* Space Elevator 101, a half-day public information event
geared towards the layperson
* A special showing of the film
"Orphans of Apollo"
* The NASA Centennial Challenge Strong Tethers Competition,
for a possible purse prize of up to $2 million
Space Elevator Conference 2009 will kick off on Wednesday, August 12 with a free Space Elevator overview presentation and Q & A session open to the public at the Microsoft Conference Center in Redmond, Wash. Space Elevator Conference 2009 is sponsored by the Space Engineering and Science Institute (SESI), JPL Space Foundation and Microsoft Corporation. Dates are as follows:
* Space Elevator overview presentation: Wednesday, August
* Technical conference: August 13-16, 7AM-8:30PM Thursday
through Saturday, and 7AM-6PM on Sunday
* NASA Centennial Challenge Strong Tether Competition: Friday
August 14, 9:30-11AM
* "Orphans of Apollo": Friday, August 14, 7-8:30PM
* Space Elevator 101: Saturday, August 15, 9AM-1PM and
Pricing for the technical conference is $300 in advance and $375 after August 1 for the full four days, including breakfast and lunch daily. Student pricing as well as one- and two-day passes to the technical conference are also available. The NASA Centennial Challenge Strong Tether Competition is open to conference attendees only and is included in the price of registration. Admission to Space Elevator 101 is $40 in advance for 1-4 people or $50 at the door. Ticket prices for "Orphans of Apollo" are $10 per person. To register online or to purchase advance tickets, please visit www.spaceelevatorconference.org.
#### Contacts: Michael Laine, Belinda Young ####
Space Elevator Conference BYPR
Telephone: 360-863-1417 Telephone: 206-932-3145
Copyright © Space Elevator Conference
If you have a comment, please Contact us..